Below are some highlights of Resilient Virginia’s Strategic Plan, or you can download the publication here.
Mission Statement: Our mission is to accelerate resiliency planning in communities across the Commonwealth.
Vision Statement: Virginia communities, including local governments, institutions, businesses, and households, will have gained the ability to better adapt to climate, environmental, social, and economic challenges while remaining healthy, vibrant, and safe places to live, work, and raise future generations.
Our goals are to inform diverse community representatives around the Commonwealth about natural, climate-related, and man-made challenges; to educate key groups about models for community resiliency planning; and to activate these communities to engage in strategic plan development.
Our accomplishments in the first three years include:
- Created a website and newsletter with information on and links to key resiliency topics.
- Organized the 2016 and 2017 Resilient Virginia Conferences.
- Carried out Resiliency Presentations on a range of topics, including microgrids, community resiliency plans, resiliency in buildings, and infrastructure adaptation, in collaboration with diverse partners.
- Developed a Comprehensive Resiliency Checklist at the invitation of the VML/VACO GoGreen Virginia Program that delineates actions local governments can take toward resiliency.
- Worked with the Science Museum of Virginia to develop their PrepareAthon events, resiliency workshops, and the Family Resiliency Checklist.
Moving Forward in 2018 and Beyond
Resilient Virginia has moved into the next phase of program activities in 2018 and beyond, with an emphasis on resiliency and rural/urban interdependence, and with program goals that include:
- A Rural Resiliency Forum,
- Resiliency workshops for local governments,
- The 3rd Resilient Virginia Conference,
- Presentations and webinars with partners including the Science Museum of Virginia, Virginia Renewable Energy Alliance, US Green Building Council, and Leaders in Energy,
- Expansion of the website resources and newsletter production,
- Working with VML and VACO to connect local governments with the Resiliency Checklist, as part of the GoGreen Local Government Challenge.
Find out more about our Strategic Plan (PDF document).