We are pleased to announce the Official Launch Meeting of Resilient Virginia, taking place February 19, from 9 AM–4 PM, at the Henrico Training Center, 7701 East Parham Rd, Richmond, VA 23294.
As you know, Virginia Sustainable Building Network provided educational events, programs, and networking for 18 years to promote high-performance buildings and sustainable development around the state of Virginia. Now a group of leaders from government, the private sector, academia, and VSBN have come together to transform the VSBN into Resilient Virginia in order to accelerate resiliency planning in Virginia communities.
Virginia’s Secretary of Public Safety and Homeland Security, Brian Moran, will provide an update on the state’s climate and resiliency initiatives, including the newly re-activated Climate Commission. The “national perspective” speakers will include Cooper Martin, Program Director, Sustainable Cities Initiative, National League of Cities, and Steve McNulty, Director of the USDA Southeast Climate Hub.
We see a special opportunity over the next three years to inform, educate, and activate communities about the benefits of resiliency planning. Governor McAuliffe has reinstated the Climate and Resiliency Commission to update the recommendations from the first 2008 report. Also he has officially appointed the Secretary of Public Safety and Homeland Security as the Chief Resiliency Officer.
Our Goals for the February 19 Launch Meeting are:
- To officially introduce the Resilient Virginia organization,
- To hear about progress being made by the Virginia Climate Change and Resiliency Update Commission,
- To bring together representatives from governments, community groups, academia and businesses who are key stakeholders in their regions to share information on local resiliency initiatives,
- To hear from national organizations about resiliency efforts around the country,
- To begin the process for planning the first Resilient Virginia Conference, to take place in September 2015.
Reserve your seat at the Resilient Virginia meeting by emailing Annette Osso, Managing Director, Resilient Virginia (email@example.com).
We hope to see you on February 19!
Annette Osso, LEED AP